If you’re a fan of Everything But The Bagel seasoning, you’ll love this savory custard toast with smoked salmon! Creamy avocado custard (just 3 ingredients!) is baked into slices of bread, with sliced cucumbers, smoked salmon, and a yogurt drizzle on top.
It’s a simple but delicious lunch or snack, reminiscent of a lox bagel crossed with a sushi roll. You can also make this without any cooking at all (I’ll share how later in the post).
Savory Custard Toast with Smoked Salmon
I’m obsessed with the combination of flavors and textures here. Everything But The Bagel seasoning is so dang good – but with smoked salmon, it’s even more heavenly. The avocado custard and yogurt drizzle add creaminess, and the toasted bread and cucumber slices add crunch.
This is a quick lunch that’s perfect for when you want something a little fancy, but don’t want to spend too much time cooking!
To make this savory custard toast with smoked salmon, you’ll need:
- bread: I recommend a thick-sliced crusty bread here, like french bread, sourdough, brioche, or something similar. It pairs so well with the soft texture of the salmon, and you can’t go wrong with a crispy crust.
- plain yogurt: I like the creaminess of Greek yogurt, but you can use regular yogurt too – just make sure it’s plain (no added flavor/sugar)!
- avocado: Avocado and salmon go really well together (sushi rolls, anyone?), and that definitely applies here! Make sure your avocados are ripe. They should be somewhat firm, with a little give when squeezed.
- egg: An egg binds the yogurt/avocado combo into a savory “custard”. Alternatively, you can skip the egg and just use yogurt and avocado on their own for a cold/no-bake toast.
- smoked salmon: There are two types of smoked salmon: cold-smoked and hot-smoked. Cold-smoked is what I used here. It’s more pliable, and has a softer texture. Hot-smoked salmon works too, though! It’s flakier and has a more smoky flavor.
- Everything But The Bagel seasoning: This fabulous seasoning ties the whole thing together! It’s a combination of sesame seeds (both white and black), dried garlic & onion, poppy seeds, and salt. You can buy it pre-mixed at some grocery stores (including Trader Joe’s), or you can make it yourself! (See instructions further down in the post).
- cucumber: I love the freshness that a few slices of cucumber bring to this toast.
How to Make Savory Custard Toast with Everything But The Bagel Smoked Salmon
Start by mashing avocado in a bowl, then mix in the egg and yogurt until mostly smooth. Next, use the back of a spoon to make an indentation (or “well”) in the center of your bread slices, almost all the way out to the crust. Spoon the avocado yogurt mixture into these indentations.
Then, bake for around 12 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit (205 degrees Celsius) until crispy and avocado custard is set. Top with slices of cucumber and smoked salmon, and sprinkle with Everything But The Bagel Seasoning.
For the yogurt drizzle, stir together a spoonful of yogurt with a splash of water, slowly adding a small amount of water until the mixture is just liquid enough to drizzle over the toast. Feel free to mix in some sriracha if you like your food spicy!
Can I make this savory yogurt toast without baking?
You can definitely save time and make a no-bake version of this! Just leave out the egg, toast the bread in a toaster, spread plain yogurt on the toast, and add sliced avocado on top. Then, follow the rest of the instructions. Quick and easy!
Homemade Everything But The Bagel Seasoning
You can easily make your own DIY Everything Bagel seasoning! Just mix together 2 tablespoons of poppy seeds, 1 tablespoon each of white sesame seeds, black sesame seeds, dried granulated garlic, and dried granulated onion, and 2 teaspoons of sea salt (or coarse salt). Store any extra in a jar in your pantry/spice rack for later!
Hope you enjoy! If you try this Everything But The Bagel smoked salmon toast, I’d love if you shared your thoughts with a rating and comment below!
Looking for some sweet custard toast recipe ideas? Check these out:
Savory Custard Toast with Smoked Salmon & Avocado
For the toast
- 3 slices bread
- 1/4 cup avocado (mashed)
- 2 Tbsp plain yogurt (I recommend Greek yogurt)
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp Everything But The Bagel Seasoning (store-bought OR see notes below for homemade seasoning instructions)
- 3 oz smoked salmon
- 1/4 cup cucumber (sliced)
For the yogurt drizzle
- 1 Tbsp plain yogurt
- 1 tsp water (+ more until reaches desired consistency)
- 1 tsp sriracha (to taste/optional)
- Mash avocado in a bowl, then whisk in the egg and yogurt until mostly smooth.
- Use the back of a spoon to make a well in the center of your bread slices, almost all the way out to the crust. Spoon in the avocado yogurt mixture.
- Bake for 10-14 minutes at 400ºF (or 205ºC), until toast is crispy and avocado custard is set.
- Top with sliced cucumber and smoked salmon, then sprinkle with Everything But The Bagel Seasoning.
- Lastly, combine 1 Tbsp yogurt with a splash of water in a small container and stir. Slowly add more water in small increments until the mixture is drizzly. (Add sriracha to taste if you like some spice). Drizzle over toast, then enjoy!